By Neo H. Morake, Co-Chair, SWNA Transportation Task Force
Earlier this year, the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) released its 2019 Audi Field and Nationals Park Traffic Operations and Parking Plan (TOPP). The purpose of the TOPP is to identify key resources and strategies designed to help facilitate travel by large crowds to and from baseball games, concerts, and other special events held at Audi Field and Nationals Park. This provides Southwest DC with a comprehensive plan that can help residents navigate the large crowds that are sure to descend upon our small, yet bustling quadrant this summer. With The Wharf moving into Phase II and DC United in its second season at Audi Field, we are sure to see an increase of traffic in SW and it is imperative for residents to know how DOT plans to handle the events.
The TOPP addresses a number of traffic and parking concerns that occur before, during and after events, including but not limited to the following:
- Street closures and parking restrictions
- Post-game roadway reconfigurations
- Traffic signal timing strategies to facilitate vehicular and pedestrian movements along major ingress and egress corridors to and from Audi Field and Nationals Park
- Variable message signage activated two hours prior to game start times directing traffic towards specific routes
- DDOT traffic control personnel posted prior, during and after events
- For-hire vehicle access points
- Metrorail service times for Navy Yard-Ballpark, Waterfront, and Capitol South metro stations
- WMATA metrobus routes and schedules
- Alternative commuting options including the DC Circulator, the water taxi, the ADA shuttle (Audi Field only) and a map of Capital BikeShare docks
DDOT’s TOPP reflects the care and attention to detail a wide range of stakeholders have placed in helping facilitate travel by large crowds during events held at Audi Field and Nationals Park.
To help local residents better navigate vehicular, pedestrian, and bicycle traffic, the Southwest Neighborhood Assembly’s Transportation Task Force has created the table below, which highlights the times when there is more than one event taking place between the Nationals Parks, Audi Stadium, the Wharf, and the Anthem. We encourage all SW residents to stay informed on all events occurring in the neighborhood, be aware of when our quadrant will be impacted by visitor traffic, and to take advantage of all available transportation options, including the free DC Circulator.