Completion of The Wharf expected by Oct. 12
By Mike Goodman
Following more than a decade of planning and development, and four years of operation, The Wharf is expected to be substantially completed by October 12, 2022—five years from the date that the first phase opened. Once completed, the waterfront will feature more than 75 shops and restaurants, across 300,000 square feet of retail space.
In January, officials from Hoffman-Madison Waterfront announced new businesses to open by the completion of Phase Two. These include:
- Philippe Chow (7,373 square feet located at 635 Wharf Street adjacent to The Green): An iconic New York City restaurant for almost two decades, Philippe Chow has become a staple for Manhattan—including athletes, musicians, and movie stars—who crave Chef Chow’s spin on traditional Chinese cuisine with results that are modern, flavorful, and theatrical. In Fall 2022, Philippe Chow plans to open in DC at The Wharf, which will feature a covered patio area adjacent to The Green with waterfront views. The restaurant will seat 270 total (75 outdoor, 175 indoor and 20 bar seats).
- Lucky Buns (2,679 square feet located at 675 Wharf Street on the waterfront): Chef Alex McCoy brings the popular, local burger spot to SW—his fourth location in the region.
- Mason’s Famous Lobster Rolls (1,159 square feet located at 681 Water Street): Mason’s will offer authentic Maine-style lobster rolls and traditional accompaniments from the coast of Maine in its fourth DC location.
- The Goddard School (8,772 square feet located at 652 Maine Avenue): The early childhood education provider will open its second SW neighborhood location.
- Georgetown Optician (1,047 square feet located at 699 Water Street): This will provide high-end eyewear and optical services.
- Dock Shop (400 square feet located at 650 Wharf Street): Dock Shop will bring marina essentials including sundries, snacks, drinks, and merchandise—as well as the waterfront neighborhood’s first fuel dock.
- Kilwins Chocolates & Ice Cream (1,115 square feet located at 663 Water Street): This will offer chocolates, hand-made fudge, ice cream and other on-site crafted treats in a modern setting.
- Scissors & Scotch (1,771 square feet located at 677 Water Street): This combines barbering and modern spa services with a watering hole.
- Bartaco (4,935 square feet located at 645 Wharf Street): Patrons can enjoy tacos, rice bowls, margaritas and more from its curated menu at its fifth location in the region and its second in DC.
This mix of restaurants and retailers will open alongside new office tenants Williams & Connolly, The Atlantic and Freedom Forum, as well as residences at The Amaris, and The Pendry Hotel.