By Will Rich
– Marketing has begun for the commercial space at 400 E St., SW a planned office building across the street from the
new Consolidated Forensic Laboratory. The 165,000 square-foot building will contain on its ground floor a new firehouse for Engine 13.
– Z-Burger is scheduled to open at Waterfront Station in mid-October. The Southwest restaurant will be the local chain’s third store in the District of Columbia. In addition to burgers and fries, Z-Burger serves shakes and malts.
– The National Geospatial Intelligence Agency at the southeast corner of 1st and M streets, SE has vacated their building as a result of the Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) process and have moved to Fort Belvoir. Eventually, the building will be replaced with a new office building as a part of the Yards development.
– FYI (Frozen Yogurt Indulgence) and a new post office are the latest retailers to open at L’Enfant Plaza. “Coming Soon” signs have been spotted for other retailers, including Starbucks, Moe’s, Five Guys, Mamma Ilardo’s, Gourmet Too, Gateway Newstands, Jay’s Jewelers, Mina’s Boutique and Nash’s Mens Wear. CVS, Hallmark and McDonald’s will be returning to the renovated retail center as well.
– Operations at the Florida Rock site to the south of Nationals Park along the Anacostia River are winding down. Demolition should begin on the site soon so it can be prepared for construction of a mixed use project called RiverFront on the Anacostia, where an apartment building should be getting underway by Spring 2013.
– The DC Housing Authority has filed a request with the Zoning Commission for a time extension to construct the mixed-income apartment buildings it has planned for the north half of Square 882 (along L Street, SE between Fifth and Seventh) and the north half of Square 769 (between Second and Third streets, SE on L just east of Canal Park) in the footprint of the old Capper-Carrollsburg housing complex.
– The Zoning Commission has approved the Stage One PUD application for The Wharf development. Hoffman-Madison Waterfront will submit the first of several Stage Two PUD applications starting in 2012.
– The Camden South Capitol apartment building under construction across the street from Nationals Park has launched a website for the project (www.camdensouthcapitol.com). Planned unit features listed on the website include: Energy Star stainless steel appliances, electric oven ranges with ceramic glass cook tops, solar shades, 42” upper cabinets, double vanities in select units, garden soaking tubs and stand-up showers in select units. Community features will include a rooftop pool with BBQ grills and outdoor fire pit, cyber cafe and a resident gaming lounge with kitchen.
News from Southwest was adapted from the Southwest…The Little Quadrant That Could blog (www.southwestquadrant.blogspot.com) and Near SE news was adapted from the JD Land blog (www.jdland.com/dc).