By Lisa Berry Edwards, Managing Director, External Affairs, Prevent Cancer Foundation
Step up to the plate for cancer prevention and come down to Nationals Park on Sunday, Nov. 3 for the 11th annual Prevent Cancer Health Fair and 5k Walk/Run. The Foundation will bring the community together for a day of healthy fun to support lifesaving cancer prevention and early detection programs across the country.
Here are the top 5 things to look forward to at the event:
- Free health services. More than 30 local health and fitness partners will offer services such as health screenings and flu shots, healthy snacks, massages, giveaways and more.
- Exclusive access to Nats Park. After the 5k, you and your family can take a swing in the Nationals batting cages and hang in the dugouts down on the field.
- Family fun. All kids 12 and under are FREE. Check out the kids parkour course and face-painting for all ages, plus a Kids Zone and jungle gym for youngsters. The event is both stroller- and dog-friendly and there will be a shortened “Fun Run” for kids, dogs and anyone who does not want to run or walk the full course.
- Getting active. Physical activity is an important part of living a healthy lifestyle and reducing your cancer risk. Before running or walking the 5k, you can get warmed up with a quick lesson from cardio kickboxing trainer Geni Lee. The 5k is not a timed race, so everyone can join in on the fun!
- Fundraising for a good cause. Start a team or fundraise alone; you may even win an award, such as “biggest team” or “highest fundraiser.” Your fundraising dollars support the Prevent Cancer Foundation®.
To register and learn more, visit: preventcancer5k.org.
Cost of registration is $20 for participants ages 13-16 and $35 for ages 17+. The event will take place rain or shine.