By Max Grossman and Carlee Brown
Ward 6 Mutual Aid (W6MA) is a grassroots group working with Black and Brown grassroots organizations to help keep our communities safe. For over a year, the Southwest Pod of W6MA has partnered with Christ United Methodist Church (CUMC) on a community food and supply drive to serve our neighbors in response to COVID-19.
Interested in ways to help W6MA and CUMC?
- Donate groceries, cleaning supplies and household items at CUMC. We accept donations Wednesdays and Fridays 3-6 p.m. as well as Saturdays 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Needed items include:
- Non-perishable foods: soup, chilli, powder drink mix, breakfast bars, fruit cups, canned meat, breakfast bars, and any food that does not need to be cooked such as energy bars or Brunswick Tuna Salad with crackers;
- personal hygiene: sanitary pads, bar soap, and body wash soap;
- cleaning supplies: dish soap, and laundry detergent;
- household: pots, pans, dishes, and bath towels.
- Come say hi and consider donating fresh produce bought at the Southwest Farmer’s Market at our table on Saturdays between 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Help make sure every student can access the online classroom by donating a device. Alongside our partner organization Serve Your City, W6MA is working to bridge the digital divide by providing laptops and tablets to students. Please fill out the form at bit.ly/w6ma_laptops if you would like to donate.
W6MA and CUMC have a number of ways you can get the support you need:
- If you or someone you know has a need for food or cleaning supplies, call the W6MA Hotline at 202-683-9962. You can request food, masks, cleaning supplies, and other goods for delivery.
- Obtain groceries, hygiene and household supplies at the CUMC’s 5000 Ministry Food Pantry on the 2nd and 4th Saturdays of the month at 9 a.m. (courtyard entrance).
- If you can not come to the church due to health or mobility issues and you live in SW, call 202-554-9117 to request a delivery.
- Obtain fresh produce from SW Mutual Aid every Sunday morning at 9-10 a.m. at CUMC’s courtyard entrance.
Just want to learn more? Email email@example.com.