Founded in 1852, St. Dominic Church remained a stable presence in Southwest Washington when almost everything was cleared away in the work of urban renewal in the 1950s. Parishioners relocated to Maryland and Virginia, but retained an affinity for the church and the Dominican Friars who have ministered to the people of the parish since the beginning. Graduates of St. Dominic School advanced to further their education and begin their careers, yet they have remained in contact with many of their classmates and school mates. Now, St. Dominic Church is reviving its annual reunion and celebration of its heritage. Parishioners past and present, students who attended St. Dominic School, and neighbors past and current are invited to a Heritage Day celebration on Sunday, October 13th, 2013. The celebration begins with the celebration of Holy Mass at 10:45 a.m. in the church. A reception will follow in the Solarium Room of the L’Enfant Plaza Hotel. Attendees are asked to bring pictures and other memorabilia. RSVP to St. Dominic Church at 202-554-7863 or receptionist@stdominicchurch.
By: Fr. George P. Schommer, O.P.