The local Presbyterian Self Development of People Committee will sponsor a free catered fish luncheon and community workshop on Saturday, Sept.17 from noon to 2 p.m. at Westminster Presbyterian Church, 400 Eye St. SW, Washington, DC 20024. If you plan to attend, please call the church office at (202) 484-7700 on or before Tuesday, Sept.13 in order for the caterer to prepare enough food.
What is The Self Development of People Committee, and what is their function? It is prepared to establish partnerships with community groups who:
* are oppressed by poverty or social systems,
* want to take charge of their own lives,
* have organized or are organizing to do something about their own conditions,
* have decided to produce long-term changes for their lives or communities, and/or
* will control the programs they own and will directly benefit from them.
All of the presbyteries and synods in the United States are part of the national (General Assembly) level. If you think that you or your group meet the criteria and would like to apply for a grant, they are normally not more than $15,000. You do not have to have a Presbyterian affiliation to be eligible. Please attend, learn more, and get help filling out an application for a grant.
By: Ruth Hamilton