By Max Grossman
Ward 6 Mutual Aid (W6MA) is an all-volunteer grassroots group working with black and brown community organizations to help keep our communities safe. Over the past five months, the Southwest Pod of W6MA has partnered with Christ United Methodist Church on a community food and supply drive to serve our neighbors in response to Covid-19. In addition, thanks to generous neighbors who donate items at the Southwest Farmers Market on Saturdays, we are now disturbing fresh produce on Sunday mornings between 9 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.
Interested in ways to help? There are several ways to show your support.
- Donate groceries and supplies. Come say hi and consider donating fresh produce bought at the Southwest Farmer’s Market on Saturdays between 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Provide or help make masks. Masks are and will continue to be the best barrier to prevent the spread of the virus and keep Southwest safe! If you are interested in donating masks, sewing masks, or assembling pre-cut masks, please email email@example.com. We are in particular need of kids masks.
- Tutor local students online. The need for tutors doesn’t end with the school year. W6MA’s tutoring program is looking for college students, grad students, and professionals who want to volunteer for virtual tutoring sessions in any subject. If you are interested, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Volunteer. The Southwest Pod of W6MA is also seeking volunteers to help staff our local food pantry and help with our farmer’s market tabling and food distribution. If you are interested in getting involved, please contact email@example.com.
Those in the community seeking assistance can access goods and services through the following means:
- If you or someone you know has a critical need, call the Ward 6 Mutual Aid Hotline at 202-683-9962. You can request food, masks, cleaning supplies, and other goods for delivery.
- Obtain fresh produce from W6MA’s community drive on Sundays, from 910:30 a.m. at the Christ United Methodist Church (900 4th St. SW; use courtyard entrance near library).
- Obtain groceries from the Christ United Methodist Church’s 5000 Ministry Food Pantry on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of the month from 9-11 a.m. (courtyard entrance).