November 15, 2012, 7-8:00 P.M., Harbour Square Cooperative 500 N SW
Participants: Lt. Nicholas Gallucci and Sgt. Michael Architzel of PSA 105, Naomi Monk and Irv Gamza, PSA 105 meeting coordinators/facilitators and John McGrath, recorder; ANC Commissioners Ron McBee (6D03) and Roger Moffatt (6D05). A total of 23 persons were in attendance.
1. Lt. Gallucci reviewed the crime statistics for the 30 day period ending October 15, 2012: (1) Assault with a Deadly Weapon (ADW) – none; (2) Robbery – 4 incidents (two juveniles were arrested recently for robbery); (3) Burglary – 5 incidents (three incidents occurred within buildings with no forced entry); (4) Theft – 12 incidents (6 incidents were within office buildings and 3 cases have been closed); (5) Theft from Auto – 8 incidents (two recent arrests of juveniles are expected to reduce these crimes); and (6) Stolen Auto – 3 incidents. In addition, an arrest for carrying a weapon was noted.
2. Discussion followed about other crime incidents, many of which do not appear to have been reported to the police. Lt. Gallucci stressed the importance of calling 911 to report all crimes such as theft of property such as bicycles and vandalism to autos and other property. Calling 911 helps the police to establish patterns of crime for later follow-up and the deployment of resources.
3. A burglary in August 2012 at the Southwest Public Library was previously thought by police detectives to be an “inside” job. To date, that assessment has not been confirmed and the case remains open.
4. In response to questions about traffic patterns at 4th and M St. SW, police stated that there were no pedestrian fatalities in 2012. Many tickets continue to be issued for illegal left turns (4th St. SW to M St. SW going east).
5. Ron McBee reported that Safeway management is exploring improvements to store security to reduce reported shoplifting (crime of theft).
6. Concerned neighbors near O St. SW (300 O St. SW) stated that Channel Square management is attempting to deal with a few problem families that are alleged to be involved in drug-related crime. Some drug activity has shifted from the O St. circle around the corner to 3rd and P St. SW.
Next Meeting: January 17, 2013, 7-8:30 P.M., Town Square Towers Condominium, 700 7th St. SW. No meeting in December 2012 due to proximity to the holidays.
By John McGrath