By Rhonda Hamilton

A burnt out unit from the Syphax Gardens fire; Courtesy of Prince of Petworth

On March 12, a fire erupted in an apartment unit in Syphax Gardens on P St., SW. The fire was so intense that smoke could be seen coming out of the roof of the building as well as the apartment unit. 

Thanks to the quick response from good samaritans in the community, the individuals trapped in the apartment complex were able to escape the building. They also notified residents in other units that the building was on fire so that they were able to escape to safety.

The community gives a special shout out to our hometown heroes: Dennis Clayborne and Antione Ratliff for saving lives, as well as fire and emergency response teams, including MPD, for their heroic efforts that helped contain a potentially deadly fire, and prevented a greater tragedy.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.