By Carlee Brown and Max Grossman
Ward 6 Mutual Aid (W6MA) is a collective of Black and Brown grassroots organizations working together to help keep our communities safe. For over a year and a half, the Southwest Pod of W6MA has partnered with Christ United Methodist Church (CUMC) on a community food and supply drive to serve our neighbors in response to COVID-19.
Interested in ways to help W6MA and CUMC?
- Donate groceries, cleaning supplies and household items at CUMC. We accept donations Wednesdays and Fridays 3-6 p.m. as well as Saturdays 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Please note that our Wednesday and Friday hours are subject to cancellation due to heat. On days weather is preventatively hot, we will leave a sign outside the courtyard entrance indicating that the Pod is closed.
Needed items include:
- paper towels, toilet paper;
- non-perishable foods: hearty canned soup (good for a meal), corned beef hash, microwaveable meals, mac and cheese, powder drink mix, instant coffee, breakfast cereal, bottled water;
- personal hygiene: sanitary pads, diapers (sizes 2-4), pull-ups (size Adult XL);
- cleaning: spray cleaner, dish soap, laundry detergent, floor cleaner;
- kitchen supplies: frying pans, manual can openers;
- paperback books for adults, fiction novels, memoirs.
- Come say hi and consider donating fresh produce bought at the Southwest Farmer’s Market at our table on Saturdays from 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Donate to Serve Your City and W6MA’s annual Back to School Bash event that provides Black and Brown youth with backpacks that include the digital devices and school supplies necessary to thrive in school. See more information at serveyourcitydc.org/b2sb.
- Are you a business looking to give back to the community? The Back to School Bash is a great way to get involved! Find out more at serveyourcitydc.org/b2sbsponsor or email email@example.com.
W6MA and CUMC have a number of ways you can get the support you need:
- If you or someone you know has a need for food or cleaning supplies, call the W6MA Hotline at 202-683-9962. You can request food, masks, cleaning supplies, and other goods for delivery.
- Obtain groceries, hygiene and household supplies at the CUMC’s 5000 Ministry Food Pantry on the 2nd and 4th Saturdays of the month at 9 a.m. (courtyard entrance).
- If you can not come to the church due to health or mobility issues and you live in SW, call 202-554-9117 to request a delivery.
- Obtain fresh produce from SW Mutual Aid every Sunday morning at 9-10 a.m. at CUMC’s courtyard entrance.
Just want to learn more? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.